Volunteering for the Academy
The Cambs Badminton Academy is run as a voluntary, community, not for profit junior sports club. All staff and committee members are volunteers and without their committed and dedicated work the Academy simply wouldn't function.
With the bulk of the work falling on the shoulders of a very small number of people this is, in all honesty, unsustainable. That is why we need YOU! We're not looking for people to give up their entire weekends or even to give 4 or 5 hours a week to help us. What we need is people with a keen interest in helping children and volunteering in the community. You don't have to be knowledgeable in badminton but you may have experience in, for example, book-keeping that would prove invaluable to us. All it needs is a group of people, each prepared to give an hour or so (sometimes even less) a week to help maintain the successful and popular organisation we have become.
Each committee post is an annual one so if you wanted to give us a try for a year then you wouldn't be expected to continue after the year's up if it didn't suit you. Of course we'd really love you to stay with us for as long as possible and make any role you may choose to take on your own.
Already we have had to cancel running our Annual Open Tournament and Ladder Competitions for 2014-15 due to lack of organisational help (we do get plenty of much appreciated help at the events but it's the admin and the organisation beforehand that we lack help with). We can't continue to promise providing all that we do across the Academy unless we gain more help on the committee or in other support roles outside the committee. So, PLEASE, do consider helping us out for a year, at least, to enable those currently on our committee to have a little less weight on their shoulders. Below are listed the committee roles that come up for renewal every year along with a job description, as well as other support roles that urgently need filling before the start of next season. Please email Sally Bushby, our volunteer co-ordinator, if you feel you have any skills you could share with us.
- Chair: To motivate and facilitate the organisation of all badminton activities within the Academy, including committee members and volunteers with the objective of delivering on participation, profile, pathway and performance. Chairperson job desc. 1 - 2 hours per week.
- Honorary Secretary: To ensure the efficient recording, reporting, administration and circulation of club information and communication, received via the Cambs Badminton Academy’s Chairman or other committee members, BADMINTON England or other internal and external agencies. Hon Sec Job Desc. 1 - 2 hours per week, ave.
- Membership Secretary: To ensure that all information on the Academy, including methods of payment, Code of Conduct, annual membership fees and Badminton England membership as well as information on booking into training on the Academy website is shared with all new members and to keep that information updated where necessary. To respond to new applications for membership from the Academy website. Membership Sec Job Desc 2 - 3 hours per week, ave.
- Treasurer: To produce the accounts, manage the assets, liabilities and financial records of the Academy using either or both a stand-alone system or the Academy’s website financial management system. Investigate and/or advise on Academy tax liabilities and liaise with Inland Revenue or other authorities where necessary. Treasurer Job Desc 1 - 2 hours per week.
- Competitions Diary Secretary: Prepare the annual tournament schedule/calendar for all age groups from U11 to adult in accordance with the needs of Academy players/Coaches in July for the following season. To keep the Google CBA Competition Calendar and Academy website current and up to date with all details relating to all relevant tournaments, including links to entry forms etc. Competitions Diary Sec Job Desc 1 - 2 hours per week.
- Assistant Coaches: We need keen and enthusiastic assistant coaches to help at both General Club sessions and Performance Training sessions (under level 2/3 coaches). We also need coaches to run general sessions from time to time.
- Child Welfare Officer: Assist the Cambs Badminton Academy to fulfill its responsibilities to safeguard children and young people at club level. Child Welfare Job Desc Couple hours per year.
- Volunteer Co-ordinator: Assess the personnel needs of the Academy on an annual, or more regular, basis taking into account regular duties as well as special events. Understand the nature of volunteering and what motivates people to volunteer, taking courses where appropriate. Recruit volunteers and, where possible, place them in roles that suit their background, skills or wishes. Volunteer Co-ordinator Job Desc 2 hours a month, ave.
- Age Group Squad Managers: Manage a group of players within a certain age group from U11 - adult who are competing regularly throughout the season. Age Group Squad Manager Job Desc 1 - 2 hours per week during the competition season.
- Other Roles: Fundraising Officer Publicity Officer Kit Manager, Tournament and Outside Events Co-ordinators
All these roles are vital to the survival of the Academy and we need your help and support. Please consider what skills or time you can give our fantastic organisation!